National Radioactive Waste Coalition
Let Us Introduce Ourselves
The National Radioactive Waste Coalition is committed to stopping the production, reprocessing, and transportation of radioactive waste. The isolation of radioactive waste is critical to protect all living things, and we are committed to working to ensure that this isolation is realized.
Our work is grounded in respect for all people. Together, we work to hold the nuclear industry and government agencies accountable for their actions, and advocate for the responsible handling of radioactive waste to keep us all as safe as possible.
INTERACTIVE MAP OF REACTORS, WASTE SITES, AND RELATED LOCATIONSClick on the icons to learn more, and scroll down within the popup for any current action alerts! Use the filter on the right to switch between map layers. Reset the map view & search any site using the buttons on the top left.
Our Coalition’s Big-Picture Goals
- STOP Yucca Mountain from becoming a permanent nuclear waste repository.
- STOP any plan for consolidated/centralized interim storage.
- KEEP high-level radioactive waste as close to its current sites as possible and “harden” the storage so it is as safe as it can be.
- REDUCE the inherent dangers with the storage of high-level radioactive waste involved in the decommissioning of nuclear power plants or other nuclear sites.
How We Will Achieve These Goals
- BUILD the power of the groups participating in the campaign.
- BRING new people and groups into the movement – especially younger people and people of color.
- BUILD solidarity and unity across the country among the groups working on the campaign.
- DEVELOP core principles about how we work together and practice implementing them in our work.
- EXPAND and continue current actions regarding legal, legislative, and regulatory issues.
- PROMOTE and develop the adoption of minimum requirements, core principles, stringent criteria, and other policies for nuclear waste.
- CONTINUE and expand the current plan on Indigenous Peoples’ Laws, Treaties, Protocols, and Activities.